November 2017 Plans

Here’s what we did last month:

Week 1: We pulled out the drums for Drumming in Eight.

Week 2:  We practiced notes with Pluck the Turkey (Note Review).

Week 3: We learned to play “For Health and Strength” by rote memory. Once they had it down, we used Pumpkin Bowling to play “For Health and Strength” as a duet. Based on which pin they bowled down, my accompaniment was either country-western, block chords, oom-pa-pa, etc. For those students who were sufficiently advanced, I sometimes played the  melody while they played the accompaniment.

Week 4: We chose Christmas songs for the season, which took a lot of the time. Once that was determined, we played the Musicality Activity, using my nutcracker as the game piece. For some of the older students, I just held the signs and they chose one. I wasn’t sure they would go for the game version, and it went fine.



September 2017 Plans

Here’s what we did in September:

Week 1: We practiced identifying notes with Slash the Note.

Week 2: We practiced building rhythms with Spin the Rhythm Bottle.

Week 3: We worked on improving our improv melodies with Melody Shapes.

Week 4: We chose songs for our upcoming recital. Some of them are already excellent at their chosen song. Some of them are a little less than excellent, so we drilled trouble spots on it using the Remote Control drill method. Many thanks to the St. Louis County Library for providing the robot.




August 2017 Plans

Here’s what we did in August.

Week 1: We played Pictionary (Music Twist) to practice note reading.

  • Very successful as long as I removed the right cards from the stack based on the kids’ abilities.

Week 2: We did a drumming challenge, which mainly involved improvising rhythms and playing them back on drums.

  • I haven’t blogged about the details yet because I’m still pondering why it worked so well for some students and not so well for others.

Week 3: We did the Thunderstorm Improv.

  • Everyone enjoyed it, and it was really very interesting seeing how many completely different thunderstorms we got even though everyone had the same basic instructions.

Week 4: We did the Cup Tower drill to work on our current pieces.

  • A big hit with everyone.