This balancing game is one of the kids’ favorites. I like it too, since it’s infinitely customizable to each student. It does require owning a specific game, but you can do a similar thing with blocks or plastic cups, if that’s easier to get.
What You Need:
- Suspend (a Melissa and Doug Family Game)
- Flashcards of anything (optional)
- Set up the basic stand for the game.
- The game comes with a die that has six colors on it. Assign a different type of flashcard or challenge for each color. For example, note names, rhythms, chords, key signatures, improv duets, play by ear challenges, sight reading, review songs, hard spots in their current song, etc. You can even leave one color to be a freebie.
How to Play:
- Ignore the rule book entirely.
- The student rolls the die and completes the challenge for that color. Then she can place a metal stick of that color on the stand.
- If anything falls off the stand, just add it back into the pile at the bottom.