The black cat strut is not my own activity. It comes from 88 Piano Keys. My students enjoyed it so much this year, I wanted to remember it, plus a few notes from my experience.
- As she recommends, I didn’t show my students anything. It was entirely done by memory and ear.
- For the youngest students, you can give them just three melody notes: C, D, E.
- More advanced students can handle all the ones she mentions in the instructions.
- If the student hasn’t learned dotted quarter note rhythms yet, just explain the left hand pattern as a dotted half note and a quarter note.
- I don’t have iRealPro, so I didn’t use her recorded drum beat. It’s a great improv even without it.