It’s recital time here. On the week before a performance, I always record the students so we can play it back and evaluate. The trick is to make this fun instead of intimidating, so we added in a bit of art.
What You Need:
- Several Easter egg coloring pages, such as these, these, or these.
- I used the ones with 9 eggs to a page, but anything will work.
- I also specifically got some of the ones with blank eggs because some kids prefer to color, some prefer to draw.
- Colored pencils or crayons
- Recording device (I just use my phone)
- Label the top of each coloring page with Take 1, Take 2, or Take 3. I did one coloring page and one blank egg page for each of the three takes.
What to Do:
- Record the student playing their piece two or three times.
- Play back the first take. Discuss what went well and what could use improvement. You could use the Pre-Recital Self Assessment for this, but it’s optional.
- Repeat for the second and third takes.
- Determine which recording was the best. The student can then decorate one of the eggs on the page labeled for that take.